Thursday, January 21, 2016

One School, One Book Take 2

Cover of The Lemonade War
Reading Lemonade War
with my daughter
My school did One School, One Book last year. We read The Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davies and had lots of fun activities to go with it. We had trivia questions every morning on the announcements that our principal graded answers and posted the classes' scores. We had a kickoff with a short skit from the book. We even dressed up like our favorite book characters to celebrate reading. It created quite a buzz and parents were asked to read the chapter book to their children regardless of if the student was in Kindergarten or 5th grade. Everyone loved it!

Principal as a lemon!
My role as the teacher librarian in all of this was largely unseen. I helped in ways that the students would not notice. I had the role of helping find copies of the books at reasonable prices. That's a large task when you need 600 copies! I helped organize events and corral kids as they filed in and out. And this year, I have been helping the School Improvement Team with the selection process for this year's book. I won't spill the beans on here about the title they are thinking about choosing but I will say, it's a really good one.

Is your school thinking about doing One School, One Book? What title are you going to choose? If not, what is standing in your way? I hope more schools decide to try this fun activity to get your kids excited about reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment