Thursday, February 25, 2016

Have your books put on a jacket. It's cold outside!

When you have a laminator, it seems logical to just laminate the book covers before you attach them to a book so they last longer. Unfortunately, laminate peels off eventually and then that pretty book jacket just looks a mess. There's not much help for it then because even if you re-laminate it, its still pretty darn ugly.

Going to book jacket covers is a better way to go as they are durable and can be removed and recovered if they get damaged. In my quest to protect my new books better, I purchased 2 rolls of book jacket covers in the 9" & 12" varieties. I wandered about my library with a ruler to see the average size of my books and found that those 2 sizes would accommodate most of the books I had. I also bought some precut strips to attach the jackets.

Having the proper supplies and dispensers is vital to maintaining a collection. It is a large expense initially to purchase a multi-roll tape dispenser along with the weighted base but the time it saves you when repairing books is so valuable, you will wonder how you did your job without it. I still struggle with keeping up with shelving, cataloging, book repair, and everything else all by my lonesome but this little gem keeps me more sane.


No comments:

Post a Comment